You may know many physical exercises but also end up mixing each of them without knowing their respective categories and besides their various benefits. Many know only one or two categories of physical exercise and get restricted to those only. So, today in this article I am going to tell you some physical exercises, that are based on the categories. Let us first discuss the types of Physical Exercises.
Physical Exercises are divided into four categories-:
- Flexibility exercises,
- Aerobic exercise,
- Anaerobic (strength) exercise,
- Balance exercise.
Flexibility physical Exercise
What flexibility means is stretching your muscles to keep your fit. And if your body is flexible, then it becomes easier for your body to perform other exercises. It also helps keep your body stay supple.
Flexibility exercises are very important because it will reduce muscle cramps and pain. Flexibility exercises can keep your body limber and help you maintain a wide range of motion. Staying flexible will definitely improve your quality of life. If you sit for a whole day, then certainly your body becomes rigid. So, it is necessary to keep your body flexible, hence we perform flexibility exercise.
Here, is a list of some flexibility physical exercise which can stretch your body.
Steps for doing flexibility physical exercise-:
- Relax your body and therefore, breathe normally while stretching.
- Then, try to do it for about 5-10 minutes and for 2-3 times.
- Also, the stretch should be smooth and slow, not jerky and fast. And jerky exercise, as a result, can cause injury.
1. Downward facing dog
Downward facing dog or Adho Mukha Shavasana is an inversion asana in modern yoga. It is also the part of Sun Salutation. This exercise is an inversion pose that builds strength.
- Lie down on the floor on your stomach.
- Now, set your knees directly below your hips and your hands slightly forward of your shoulders.
- Then exhale and lift your knees off the floor.
- Try to be in the shape of the letter ‘A’.
- Then, stay in the position for about 40-50 seconds.
- After that come back in normal position.
- Now repeat the same step for 7-8 times.
Do 4 sets for 40 seconds in each set.
1 set = 40 seconds, 4 sets = 160 seconds.
- It strengthens and energizes all your muscles.
- Also, the workout strengthens your arms and shoulders.
- Helpful in increasing height.
- The workout lengthens the calves.
- Moreover, calms your mind.
- Lastly, exercise stimulates blood circulation.
- Do not practice if you are pregnant.
- And if you have back problems like Sciatica, then clearly do not perform this.
- Also, do not perform the exercise if you have high blood pressure.
- Do not keep your feet together; they should be just below your hips.
- And, shoulders should not be over your wrists.
- Head should not be up; it may cause tension in the neck.
2. Forward bend
Forward Bend is a physical exercise that makes your body flexible. It is also a part of the Sun Salutation Sequence and is known as Uttanasana. Moreover, it stretches your hamstrings and calves.
- Stand in the normal position with your hand on your hips.
- Then inhale and while exhaling bend your hands and body from hips.
- Now, try to touch your feet with the hands.
- Hold the position for 1 minute and then come back to the normal position.
- Now keep your legs parallel to each other.
- You must feel stretch in your hamstrings.
- After that rise slowly with an elongation in your back.
Do 10 sets for 60 seconds in each set.
1 set = 60 seconds, 10 sets = 600 seconds.
- It strengthens your hamstrings.
- This exercise also helps you increase your height.
- The workout strengthens the thighs and knees.
- Moreover, reduce fatigue and anxiety.
- The workout relieves headaches and insomnia.
- Do not perform the workout if you have lower back pain, a tear in hamstrings.
- Never try to pull your head towards your knees; it should target to pull towards feet.
- Also do not lift the chin too much and compressing the back of the neck, which can cause pain, stiffness in the spinal cord.
3. Cobra pose
Cobra Pose is also known as Bhujangasana. This asana resembles a serpent with its hood raised. It is a part of a sequence of yoga postures in Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation and Padma Sadhana. In addition, the Cobra pose comes from the Sanskrit word Bhujang = Snake (Cobra) and Asana = Pose or Posture.
- Lie on the floor on the stomach.
- Then keep your toes pointing straight back, hands under the shoulder keeping elbows parallel.
- Let your forehead rest on the floor.
- Now, inhale and lift your chest off the floor, keeping your legs on the floor.
- After that draw your shoulders back and heart forward.
- Try to keep your hands straight while going up and your head seeing upwards.
- Now hold the position for 30 seconds or more.
- Now, firmly come down to the normal position.
- Then repeat the same step for 5 times.
Do 5 sets for 30 seconds each.
1 set = 30 second, 5 sets = 150 seconds.
- The workout increases the flexibility of the spine.
- The exercise helps increase height.
- It also tones the abdomen.
- Expands the chest.
- Also reduces fatigue and stress too.
- Improves menstrual irregularities.
- Elevates mood.
- Moreover improves blood circulation.
- Improves digestion.
- And relieves back pain.
- Do not perform the exercise if you have carpel tunnel syndrome.
- Also avoid if you have a wrist injury, headache.
- And also, do not perform if you are pregnant.
- Before you lift your head and chest from the floor, make sure your hands are correctly positioned.
- Try not to lock your elbows as it can jam your shoulder towards your ear. Keep your elbows slightly bent.
4. Cat-cow stretch
Cat-cow stretch is also known as Chakravakasana. It involves moving the spine from a rounded position to an arched one. This pose may also be done as a part of a warm-up sequence, a relaxation sequence, or as an exercise to prevent back pain.
- Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
- Begin in a neutral spine position, with your back flat and your abs engaged.
- Now inhale, make your belly soft, arch your back, and lift your head and tailbone. This part of the stretch is called cow pose.
- Then exhale, round your spine up to the ceiling pulling your abs towards your spine and with that tuck your tailbone in and tuck your chin toward your chest. This part of the stretch is called cat pose.
- When combined, they are called cat-cow stretch or pose.
- Lastly, continue flowing back and forth from cat to cow pose.
Do 5 sets with 10 times each.
1 set = 10 times, 5 sets = 50 times.
- The exercise brings flexibility to the spine.
- Furthermore, helps to increase height.
- It stretches the back torso, neck.
- It also strengthens the abdominal organs.
- Improves your posture and balance.
- And it is believed to be a good stress-reliever.
- If you feel pain, then gently back out of the pose.
- Also if you have a neck injury, try to keep your neck in line with your torso.
- Pregnant women should only perform cow pose.
- Lastly, if you have any medical concerns, then consult your doctor.
- Don’t strain your neck. Be sure to keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Most importantly keep the arms straight so the movement is with the spine and not with your arms and elbows.
5. Butterfly pose
The butterfly pose is also known as Badhakonasana, where, Badha = Bound or restrained, Kona = Angle, Asana = Pose or Posture. It is popularly called Butterfly Pose because of the movement of the legs during the posture, giving the appearance of a butterfly flapping its wings. It is sometimes called the Cobbler Pose as it resembles the sitting position of a cobbler at work.
- Sit with your spine erect and legs spread straight out, which is called staff pose or dandasana.
- Now exhale, and bend your knees by bringing your feet towards the pelvis.
- The sole of the feet should touch each other.
- Now, grab your feet together with your hands. Try to place the hand underneath the feet.
- Try to bring the heels close to the genitals as possible.
- Inhale, and then exhale pressing your thighs and bringing the knees down towards the floor.
- Now, start flapping your legs up and down like the wings of a butterfly.
- Start slow and then gradually increase the speed. Keep breathing normally throughout the exercise.
- Press your elbows on the thighs, pushing the thighs close to the floor.
- Feel the stretch in the inner thighs and take deep breaths.
- Then take a deep breath.
- Now exhale and gently get back to the normal position by straightening your legs.
Do 5 set with 10 times in each set.
1 set = 10 times, 5 sets = 50 times.
- Removes fatigue from long hours of standing and walking.
- Helps in smooth delivery if practiced regularly until late pregnancy.
- Moreover, offers relief from menstrual discomfort and menopause symptoms.
- Also, helps to increase height.
- Stimulates the heart and improves circulation
- And, helps relieve mild depression, anxiety, and fatigue.
- Besides, it improves flexibility in the groin and hip region.
- Do not perform if you are suffering from a knee injury. Try to keep a soft blanket under the outer thighs.
- And if you have a lower back injury, avoid doing it.
- Be careful while bending if you are suffering from high blood pressure or any cardiac problems.
- Lastly, it should be avoided by the menstruating ladies.
- Don’t round your back and shoulders.
- Don’t push your knees down with your hands or try to force them down.
- Lastly, not doing thigh stretches before big backbends.
Aerobic physical Exercise
Aerobic exercise is a physical exercise of low to high intensity that depends primarily on the aerobic energy-generating process. It is a type of cardiovascular exercise. Moreover, it includes exercises that use oxygen to adequately meet energy. That is why it is called the “cardio” exercise. Aerobic exercise stimulates the heart rate and breathing rate to increase in a way that can be sustained for the exercise session.
It gives you all kinds of benefits from physical benefits to mental benefits. Also, this can reduce the chance of several diseases, like, cancer, depression, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
Here, is a list of some aerobic exercises.
Steps for doing Aerobic Physical Exercise-
- Relax your body and breathe normally during exercise.
- Do the exercise for about 5 minutes.
1. Skipping or Rope Jumping
Rope jumping is a full-body physical exercise that requires only a jumping rope. This physical exercise can be performed at home only; you need not go anywhere. Also, this workout is a great calorie burner. And if you do 1000 rope jumps a day, you burn 215 calories which are equal to 500 gms of cold drink.
- Stand in a normal position with your rope at your backside.
- Now, swing the rope and bring in front.
- Jump over it when the rope comes near your leg.
- At first, attempt aims to do 100 jumps or less if you are a beginner.
- Then gradually increase the number within a month.
Do 5 sets with 100 jumps in each set.
1 set = 100 jumps, 5 sets = 500 jumps.
- This workout strengthens your muscles and bones.
- And boosts metabolism.
- Also, improves your mental health.
- Moreover, this workout increases your height.
- Besides that, the exercise loses your weight.
- Do not perform the exercise if you have pain in your legs.
- Also, wear shock-absorbing shoes for the rope jumping workout.
- Jumping too high can make you tire very easily.
- Also using too long rope will not help you jump easily.
- And looking down at your feet can lose your concentration.
2. Jumping Jacks
Jumping Jacks is a whole body workout. It involves abdominal and shoulder muscles. This is a very good physical exercise. And this workout works on hip flexors, hamstrings.
- Stand in the normal position.
- Jump up; widen your legs and hands upward in clapping position.
- Then return to the position.
- Now do this as many times for about 30-40 seconds.
Do 5 sets for 30 seconds in each set.
1 set = 30 seconds, 5 sets = 150 seconds
- This workout burns your calories.
- Also, tone your muscles.
- The workout makes you stress-free.
- Lastly, warm-up your shoulders.
- If you have joint issues, muscle injuries or other health issues, then don’t perform the exercise.
- Don’t lock your knees.
- And do not bend your knees.
3. Running or Jogging
It is the very best exercise for everyone, especially for beginners. It does not require any equipment. One should start with jogging or running for 20-30 minutes if you are a beginner. And then gradually increase the time by 50-60 minutes.
- Improves your heartbeat.
- It also burns higher calories.
- Moreover, lift your mood.
- Good for diabetic people.
- Besides, cures high blood pressure and depression.
- One should warm up before running and cool down after running.
- And, stop running if you are hurt.
- Do not eat too much before running.
- Wearing wrong shoes
- And, wearing the wrong clothes
It is a great aerobic exercise that tones your body. Swimming can be done indoors or outdoors, public pools, YMCAs, fitness clubs, etc. It is one of the best exercises for increasing height.
- Good for the whole body.
- Moreover burns your calories.
- Also lowers the risk of diseases.
- Relaxes your mind too.
- Lastly increases your energy level.
- Drink water before and after swimming to avoid dehydration.
- Shortening your strokes
- And bad breath timing
Cycling is a sport or an activity which is very good for our body. One should do cycling for about an hour a day.
- It promotes weight loss.
- And improves mental health.
- Furthermore, increases your height.
- Gives better lung health.
- It also builds muscles.
- Lastly, reduce the risk of a heart attack.
- Do not ride fast on heavy traffic roads.
- And be alert where cars are parked.
- Also, obey all traffic rules.
- Unsuitable clothing
- And pressing brakes too hard
Anaerobic physical Exercise
Anaerobic exercises are those exercises that involve short physical activity. It is different from aerobic exercise because it has higher intensity and a higher power version of the exercise. It is the exercise that breaks down the glucose in the body without using oxygen, as the word, anaerobic, says without oxygen.
Some common Anaerobic Physical Exercise-
1. Heavy weightlifting
Weightlifting is one of the known anaerobic exercises, which everyone may have done once in life. It is a sport in which we have to lift dumbbells. Dumbbells vary from different sizes.
- Builds your muscles.
- Also, strengthens your bones.
- Furthermore reduces depression symptoms.
- And lower your diabetes risk.
- Moreover, controls your sugar level.
- Improve heart health.
- Lastly makes you mentally strong.
- Do not lift too heavyweights.
- And, restrain if you have pain in the back or hands.
- Warm-up yourself before lifting.
- Also, breathe correctly
- Poor balance.
- And breathing incorrectly
- Moreover Not taking breaks.
- Also overdoing it
- And bending your back
2. Sprinting Physical Exercise
Sprinting is a short distance running over a limited period of time. Sprint can be from 60m to 400m. Due to its short distance, it requires more energy and stamina.
- Builds your muscles.
- Also makes your bones strong.
- Increases body posture.
- Moreover keeps your body fit.
- Also makes your heart healthy.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Lastly reduces stress.
- Do not run if you have pain in your legs.
- Always run while wearing shoes.
- Also, always warm up yourself.
- And do stretch your body before sprinting.
- Swinging arms across the body
- And keeping arms straight
- Lastly, feet turned out.
Balance physical exercise
Balance exercise is a type in which our body posture is balanced. It mainly includes standing on one leg. One should practice such exercises at least 20-30 minutes. It even makes your body flexible.
Common types of balance Physical exercise-
1. Tree pose
Tree pose is commonly known as Vrikshasana. Vrikshasana is derived from the Sanskrit word “Vriksha” meaning tree, and “Asana” meaning pose or posture. At first, it seems to be a very easy pose but is actually a difficult one. It is done to improve your balance and posture.
- Stand straight with your arms by your side.
- Then bend your right knee and keep it on your left thigh.
- The sole of the right foot should be on the left thigh.
- Now, take your hands above your head and join the palms together.
- Hold the position for 60 seconds.
- Now exhale and come back to the normal position.
- Do the same steps for the left leg too.
- Then repeat the steps for 4-5 times.
- It helps you improve your concentration.
- Also brings balance and equilibrium to your mind.
- Makes your legs strong.
- Moreover, tree pose increases your balance.
- Also, It strengthens your ankles and knees.
- Furthermore lengthens the spine.
- Lastly opens the hips.
- If you have a knee injury, then do not perform.
- And avoid if you have a hip injury.
- Avoid if you are suffering from migraines, insomnia.
- Moreover, if you have high or low blood pressure, then don’t do this.
- Unstable leg
- And, arched back
- Also, ankle overstretched
2. Single leg lift Physical Exercise
It is the exercise which increases your balancing power.
- Stand straight on the floor.
- After that lift your left leg back while touching your hip or in front.
- You can use your hands to hold your leg at the back.
- Then be in the position for 1 minute.
- Bring down your leg and come in a normal position.
- Now repeat step 2 with your right leg.
- Strengthens your muscles.
- It also burns calories fast.
- And improves balance and flexibility.
- Lastly lowers the risk of back injuries.
- Do not perform if you have injuries in any of the legs.
- And even do not arch your back.
- Less concentration
- Furthermore, raising leg too high
- Lastly, bending your back
Sirsasana or headstand is a yoga pose that energizes your body.
- Sit in vajrasana.
- Now lift your hips by bowing down your head and keeping it on the floor.
- Then bring your finger in front of your head by interlocking your fingers.
- Come in the position of inverted V.
- Now slowly move your toes forward near your head.
- As your back becomes straight, try to lift your legs in the air.
- Now slowly straighten your legs.
- The entire body should be straight.
- Now be in the position for 30-40 seconds.
- Bring down your legs to the normal position.
- Then repeat the same step for 2-3 times.
- Prevents hair loss.
- It also relieves headaches.
- Moreover strengthens the muscles of the neck and shoulder.
- And circulates blood to the scalp.
- Lastly helps in overcoming the problems related to stomach, kidney, head, and hair.
- Always be mindful of the placement of the neck.
- Also, never hold your breath when you are performing this.
- And, avoid if you have neck injuries.
- Lastly, people with heart problems should be cautious.
- Your movements should be controlled.
- And, do not move too fast.
4. Shoulder stand
Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is a yoga pose wherein the whole body is balanced on shoulders. Sarv means all, anga means part of a body, and asana means pose or posture. It is highly beneficial in maintaining mental and physical health. This asana helps to nourish the thyroid gland and good treatment for reducing hair fall.
- Lie on the floor on your back.
- Then inhale, lift your body keeping your head and shoulder on the floor.
- Now keep your elbows on the floor and hands on the back.
- Stay in the position for 30 seconds or more.
- Then exhale, and come back to the normal position.
- Now repeat the same step for 2-3 times.
Do 3 sets for 30 seconds each.
1 set = 30 seconds, 3 sets = 90 seconds.
- Nourishes the brain with more blood.
- And brings relief from constipation.
- Also reduces hair fall.
- Lastly strengthens arms and keeps the spine flexible.
- Pregnant ladies must consult the doctors.
- And do not perform if you have pain in the neck or shoulder.
- Keeping your feet over the head, and not over the hips.
- Moreover, knees should not be bent.
- Feet should not be kept apart, instead, they should be aligned together.
Physical exercises are very important for everyone to keep their body and mind fit. But most of the times we forget about the categories of physical exercise. Everyone should do it for about 1-2 hours. This will help kids stay away from television and computers. One should do every type of exercise, whether it is aerobic, anaerobic, flexibility, and balanced exercise. These exercises will keep your mind fresh. You will be able to focus on your work.
Stay fit, Stay healthy!