How to increase height? Can I increase my height after 18? I am too short, how to get tall in 1 week? How to increase height in 1 month? Increase height with easy steps? There are more such questions that people often ask.
Why tall height?
People are never satisfied with their height. They are always complaining about their height. And some even face height-shaming by their friends and colleagues. They want to look attractive. Being tall there are several benefits. You can be a good sportsperson, you can go to the police or defense and serve the nation. There are many more benefits of being tall. It is not possible that everyone gets tall.
Claims of medical treatments
Also, you may have heard people claiming that certain medical treatments can increase your height. Somewhere it may be true but it can leave behind its side effects and can affect your other body parts. Also, these medicines are way too expensive. I suggest that people should not take all these drinks and medical treatments when there are several other ways to increase their height.
What is an average height?
According to a survey, the average height of men and women varies in different countries.
|India||5ft 5in||5ft 0in|
|USA||5ft 9in||5ft 4in|
|UK||5ft 10in||5ft 4in|
|Australia||5ft 10in||5ft 3in|
|Canada||5ft 9in||5ft 4in|
If you want to get tall, then follow this article. Maybe you find it helpful for you.
Factors determining Height Increase
- Proper Nutrition
- Growth Hormone
- Sleep pattern
- Lastly, Immunity
The main reason behind increasing your height is genes. They contribute about 80-90 % to your height. It is generally said that if your parents are tall, then there is a possibility that their children are also tall and somewhere it is true. Genetic factors most of the time account for your final height.
It is seen that in small kids, they grow 2 inches every year. And during the time of their puberty, this rate becomes faster. Some children even may grow at a faster pace at the age of 13-18 years. Most people stop growing after 18. Hence, it may vary in many kids. Some kids even grow at the age of around 20. Throughout puberty, the bones grow longer at a fast rate. It is due to the pituitary gland.
After genetics, anything which contributes to increasing height is proper nutrition. A balanced diet is very essential when it comes to your growth. The most important thing required for our body to grow are vitamins, proteins, and calcium. Children are required to eat green leafy vegetables, cereals, and dal to make their muscles strong. Whereas, drinking milk is equally important to make bones strong. Also one should include dry fruits in their meal. This will help their body to grow.
The exercise also contributes to increasing height. When someone performs some yogasana it increases the flexibility and stretches the body which results in increasing height. There are several yoga poses that can increase your height and can be performed by anyone. It is advised that kids should start doing yoga at the age of 5 years. Do the stretches and see the result in your body. It will stretch your spinal cord which will increase your height.
The Growth hormone is also known as Human Growth Hormone (HGH). It is an important hormone that is produced by the pituitary gland. In fact, it is very helpful in increasing height, also boosts muscle growth, strength, and recovers you from any kind of injury. When this hormone is produced in proper quantity, then a person’s body is fit. But when excess growth hormone is produced, it leads to gigantism and when less of it is produced, then it leads to dwarfism.
Sleep pattern also contributes a lot in increasing one’s height. It is said by the researchers that a person should sleep about 8-9 hours at night. It is suggested that proper sleep can make your body function in the right way and hence can increase your height. Refer to the below table for tour sleep patterns.
|Up to 2 months||10-18 hours|
|3-12 months||9-14 hours|
|1-3 years||8-13 hours|
|4-10 years||10-12 hours|
|10-15 years||9-10 hours|
|15-18 years||8-9 hours|
Posture helps you make look good. It is also an important way to look good personality. You may have seen many people who walk while bending their back. This also makes them look shorter. One should keep their back straight and good posture. Having bad posture can also affect your bones and can cause your injury. Posture also plays important role in height. Good posture keeps your body straight and makes you look a bit tall.
And at last, which plays an important part in our growth is immunity. If your immunity is strong then there are fewer chances of you to get sick and hence helps your body to grow faster and you will have tall height. But if your immunity is weak then you are more prone to diseases. This will make your body weak and your bones and muscles will also get weaker. This may lead to a short height.
Reason behind height increase.
Firstly, one should make a point clear in their mind that everyone can’t increase their height after 18 years as at this point you have reached the maximum height. But some people can still add a few inches more to their height.
The reason behind not growing your height after 18 is that most people attain puberty and it not possible to grow your bones, specifically growth plates. When a person is near the end of puberty, due to the hormonal changes the growth plates harden and close. And in girls, it is, even more, earlier, at 16 and in boys it may be till 19.
But if you are less than 18 or just entered puberty, you have full chances of increasing your height. A good amount of exercise, a proper diet can help you. So gear up and starting doing t from today only.
I will not say that no one can increase their height after 18, there are some who can whose growth plates are not closed. Therefore, they can increase their height. And in general, everyone should do exercise to keep themselves fit.
the Exercises for height increase
Now, I will tell the exercises one should do daily to increase. But one should restrain if any injuries.
It is a great exercise that tones your body and a great contributor to increasing your height. Swimming can be done indoors or outdoors, public pools, YMCAs, fitness clubs, etc. Swimming is one of the best exercises for lengthening your bones and muscles.
- Good for the whole body.
- Furthermore, increases your height.
- Burns your calories.
- Also, lowers the risk of diseases.
- Relaxes your mind.
- Lastly, increases your energy level.
- Drink water before and after swimming to avoid dehydration.
- Shortening your strokes
- Besides, bad breath timing
2. Hanging bars
This is a very simple exercise and can be performed by anyone. It is great for increasing your bones’ strength and muscle power. And also increases your height. It stretches your full body and elongates your spine and mostly stretches your lower body. When your body is stretching blood circulates more efficiently in these parts and increases your height. This helps your body stretch naturally because of improved blood and oxygen circulation in the body.
- Increases your height.
- Additionally, stretches your bones.
- Builds your muscles.
- Also, relieve shoulder pain.
- Lastly, strengthen the upper back.
- Keep your arms straight.
- Importantly, don’t bend your arms.
- Holding the bars incorrectly.
- Lastly, doing too hard a variation.
3. Cobra pose
It is also known as Bhujangasana. This asana resembles a serpent with its hood raised. It is a part of the sequence of yoga postures in Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation and Padma Sadhana. Cobra pose comes from Sanskrit word Bhujang = Snake (Cobra) and Asana = Pose or Posture.
- Lie on the floor on the stomach.
- Then keep your toes pointing straight back, hands under the shoulder keeping elbows parallel.
- Let your forehead rest on the floor.
- Now, inhale and lift your chest off the floor, keeping your legs on the floor.
- Draw your shoulders back and heart forward.
- Then, try to keep your hands straight while going up and your head seeing upwards.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds or more.
- Now, firmly come down to the normal position.
- At last, repeat the same step 5 times.
1 set = 30 second, 5 sets = 150 seconds.
Do 5 sets for 30 seconds each.
- The workout increases the flexibility of the spine.
- The exercise helps increase height.
- It tones the abdomen.
- Also, expands the chest.
- Reduces fatigue and stress.
- As well as improves menstrual irregularities.
- Besides elevates mood.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Moreover, improves digestion.
- Lastly, relieves back pain.
- Do not perform the exercise if you have carpel tunnel syndrome.
- Importantly, avoid if you have a wrist injury, headache.
- Also, do not perform if you are pregnant.
- Before you lift your head and chest from the floor, make sure your hands are correctly positioned.
- At last, try not to lock your elbows as it can jam your shoulder towards your ear. Keep your elbows slightly bent.
4. Downward facing Dog
The Downward facing dog or Adho Mukha Shavasana is an inversion asana in modern yoga. It is part of Sun Salutation. This exercise is an inversion pose that builds strength.
- Lie down on the floor on your stomach.
- Then set your knees directly below your hips and your hands slightly forward of your shoulders.
- Now, exhale and lift your knees off the floor.
- Try to be in the shape of the letter ‘A’.
- Then stay in the position for about 40-50 seconds.
- After that come back in a normal position.
- At last repeat the same step 7-8 times.
Do 4 sets for 40 seconds in each set.
1 set = 40 seconds, 4 sets = 160 seconds.
- It strengthens and energizes all your muscles.
- Also, the workout strengthens your arms and shoulders.
- Importantly, helpful in increasing height.
- The workout lengthens the calves.
- Additionally, calms your mind.
- Lastly, exercise stimulates blood circulation.
- Do not practice if you are pregnant.
- Also, if you have back problems like Sciatica, then do not perform this.
- Moreover, do not perform the exercise if you have high blood pressure.
- Do not keep your feet together; they should be just below your hips.
- Also, shoulders should not be over your wrists.
- At last, the Head should not be up; it may cause tension in the neck.
Mountain Pose or Tadasana is a basic pose that is used for all other standing poses. This can be done by anyone, improves your posture. It is popularly known as mountain pose. This is a very basic yoga pose that anyone can perform. This is named so because when we do this pose, it looks like a palm tree. There is also another name for this pose, that is, heavenly stretch as when you stretch your arms towards the sky it implies heaven.
- Stand straight.
- Now inhale, take your hands above your head interlocking your fingers.
- Also, stand on your toes by raising your heels and keep all the weight on your toes.
- Stay in the position for 60 seconds and then come back to the normal position.
- At last, repeat steps 3-4 times.
- Very good asana for increasing your height.
- Also, it gives maximum strength to your nerves and muscles.
- Furthermore, very effective in backaches.
- This asana also helps in reducing extra fat from the body.
- A pregnant woman should not do this.
- Moreover, patients with varicose pain must avoid it.
- Those who suffer from headaches should not do for too long.
- Rushing through it. Not having proper balance.
- Lastly, keeping your shoulders away from your hips.
6. Tree pose
This is commonly known as Vrikshasana. Vrikshasana is derived from the Sanskrit word “Vriksha” meaning tree, and “Asana” meaning pose or posture. At first, it seems to be a very easy pose but is actually a difficult one. It is done to improve your balance and posture.
- Stand straight with your arms by your side.
- Now, bend your right knee and keep it on your left thigh.
- The sole of the right foot should be on the left thigh.
- Now, take your hands above your head and join the palms together.
- Hold the position for 60 seconds.
- Then, exhale and come back to the normal position.
- Also, do the same steps for the left leg too.
- Lastly, repeat steps 4-5 times.
- It helps you improve your concentration.
- Also, brings balance and equilibrium to your mind.
- Makes your legs strong.
- Importantly, the tree pose increases your balance.
- It strengthens your ankles and knees.
- Lengthens the spine.
- At last, opens the hips.
- If you have a knee injury, then do not perform.
- Avoid if you have a hip injury.
- Also, avoid if you are suffering from migraines, insomnia.
- At last, if you have high or low blood pressure, then don’t do this.
- Unstable leg
- Next, Arched back
- Lastly, Ankle overstretched
7. Surya namaskar
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is one of the very useful and most important yoga practices for increasing height. It is a combination of few yoga postures (mainly 12 poses) that are used to perform along with chanting Mantras. Mantras are different names of Hindu god Sun “Surya Bhagwan”. According to Hinduism, the Sun identifies as the soul and source of all life.
Surya namaskar can be practiced by all, regardless of sex, caste, class, or creed. It is a very well-balanced set of movements that will stretch all the muscles in your body and keep the mind and body healthy.
- One of the best yoga poses to increase height.
- Stimulates the nervous system.
- Improves body posture and balance.
- Also, regulate the menstrual cycle in women.
- Importantly, tone your buttocks and abdomen.
- Lastly, strengthens your ankles, knees, thighs, arms, and legs.
- People suffering from heart problems should restrain.
- Also, avoid if you have hernia.
- People suffering from a slipped disc.
- At last, do not perform if you are having T.B.
- Confusion between cobra pose and downward-facing dog.
- Also, skipping Astanga namaskara.
It is a sport or an activity which is very good for our body. One should do cycling for about an hour a day.
- It promotes weight loss.
- Improves mental health.
- Also, increases your height.
- Gives better lung health.
- Moreover, builds muscles.
- At last, reduce the risk of a heart attack.
- Do not ride fast on heavy traffic roads.
- Also, be alert where cars are parked.
- Importantly obey all traffic rules.
- Unsuitable clothing
- Lastly, pressing brakes too hard
Rope jumping is a full-body physical exercise that requires only a jumping rope. This physical exercise can be performed at home only; you need not go anywhere. This workout is a great calorie burner. If you do 1000 rope jumps a day, you burn 215 calories which are equal to 500 gms of cold drink.
- Stand in a normal position with your rope at your backside.
- Now, swing the rope and bring in front.
- Jump over it when rope comes near your leg.
- At first attempt aim to do 100 jumps or less if you are a beginner.
- Then gradually increase the number within a month.
Do 5 sets with 100 jumps in each set.
1 set = 100 jumps, 5 sets = 500 jumps.
- This workout strengthens your muscles and bones.
- Boosts metabolism.
- Also, improves your mental health.
- In particular, this workout increases your height.
- Lastly, the exercise loses your weight.
- Do not perform the exercise if you have pain in your legs.
- Besides, wear shock-absorbing shoes for the rope jumping workout.
- Jumping too high can make you tired very easily.
- Also using too long a rope will not help you jump easily.
- At last, looking down at your feet can lose your concentration.
Sirsasana or headstand is a yoga pose that energizes your body. It is a very good pose for body growth.
- Sit in vajrasana.
- Now, lift your hips by bowing down your head and keeping it on the floor.
- Bring your finger in front of your head by interlocking your fingers.
- Next, come in the position of inverted V.
- Now slowly move your toes forward near your head.
- As your back becomes straight, try to lift your legs in the air.
- Then, slowly straighten your legs.
- The entire body should be straight.
- Be in the position for 30-40 seconds.
- Now bring down your legs to the normal position.
- Also, repeat the same step 2-3 times.
- Helps in increasing height.
- Also prevents hair loss.
- Relieves headaches.
- Besides, strengthens the muscles of the neck and shoulder.
- Circulates blood to the scalp.
- Furthermore, helps in overcoming the problems related to the stomach, kidney, head, and hair.
- Always be mindful of the placement of the neck.
- Never hold your breath while performing this.
- Also, avoid if you have neck injuries.
- People with heart problems should be cautious.
- Your movements should be controlled.
- Lastly, do not move too fast.
11. Shoulder stand
Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is a yoga pose wherein the whole body is balanced on the shoulders. Sarv means all, anga means part of a body, and asana means pose or posture. It is highly beneficial in maintaining mental and physical health. This asana helps to nourish the thyroid gland and good treatment for reducing hair fall.
- Lie on the floor on your back.
- Now inhale, lift your body keeping your head and shoulder on the floor.
- Then keep your elbows on the floor and hands on the back.
- Next, stay in the position for 30 seconds or more.
- Lastly, exhale, and come back to the normal position.
- Also, repeat the same step 2-3 times.
Do 3 sets for 30 seconds each.
1 set = 30 seconds, 3 sets = 90 seconds.
- Increases height.
- Nourishes brain with more blood.
- Also, brings relief from constipation.
- As well as reduces hair fall.
- Lastly, strengthens arms and keeps the spine flexible.
- In particular, pregnant ladies should consult their doctors before performing.
- Furthermore, do not perform if you have pain in the neck or shoulder.
- Keeping your feet over their head instead of their hips
- Importantly, the knees should not be bent.
- Lastly, feet should not be kept apart; rather they should be aligned together.
Halasana is also known as plow pose. Its name is similar to plow which is used in farming as in this we take our legs back just as a plow. Plow = hal and pose = asana. Do this asana very carefully without giving any strain to your neck. Generally, this pose is done after a shoulder stand or Sarvangasana.
- Lie down on the floor in Shavasana.
- Next, your hands should be at your side and not apart.
- Now, lift your legs. They should be straight and your body should look like capital L.
- Then turn your legs behind your back.
- Your hands should lie on the floor only.
- More importantly, it should look like a plow.
- Then stay in the position for 1 minute.
- At last, come in the normal position and you repeat for 2-3 times.
- Beneficial for the pelvic region.
- Moreover, helps in strengthening bones.
- And definitely increases your height.
- Lastly, calms the nervous system.
- Do not perform if you have a neck injury.
- In particular, women should avoid doing during pregnancy.
- Overturning your legs and causing neck injury.
13. Cat Cow pose
Cat-cow stretch or pose is also known as Chakravakasana. It involves moving the spine from a rounded position to an arched one. This pose may be done as a part of a warm-up sequence, a relaxation sequence, or as an exercise to prevent back pain.
- Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
- Begin in a neutral spine position, with your back flat and your abs engaged.
- Then inhale, make your belly soft, arch your back and lift your head and tailbone. This part of the stretch is called the cow pose.
- Exhale, round your spine up to the ceiling pulling your abs towards your spine, and with that tuck your tailbone in and tuck your chin toward your chest. This part of the stretch is called a cat pose.
- When combined, they are called cat-cow stretch or pose.
- Besides, continue flowing back and forth from cat to cow pose.
Do 5 sets with 10 times each.
1 set = 10 times, 5 sets = 50 times.
- The exercise brings flexibility to the spine.
- Also, helps to increase height.
- It stretches the back torso, neck.
- Furthermore strengthens the abdominal organs.
- Improves your posture and balance.
- Lastly, it is believed to be a good stress-reliever.
- If you feel pain, then gently back out of the pose.
- If you have a neck injury, try to keep your neck in line with your torso.
- Also, pregnant women should only perform cow pose.
- Besides if you have any medical concerns, then consult your doctor.
- Don’t strain your neck. Be sure to keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Importantly keep the arms straight so the movement is with the spine and not with your arms and elbows.
14. Forward spine stretch
It is a physical exercise that makes your body flexible. It is also a part of the Sun Salutation Sequence. Forward Bend is known as Uttanasana. Helps in stretching your hamstrings and calves.
- Stand in the normal position with your hand on your hips.
- Then inhale and while exhaling bend your hands and body from hips.
- Now try to touch your feet with the hands.
- Hold the position for 1 minute and then come back to the normal position.
- Keep your legs parallel to each other.
- You must feel stretch in your hamstrings especially.
- At last, rise slowly with an elongation in your back.
Do 10 sets for 60 seconds in each set.
1 set = 60 seconds, 10 sets = 600 seconds.
- It strengthens your hamstrings.
- This exercise helps you increase your height.
- The workout strengthens the thighs and knees.
- Also, reduce fatigue and anxiety.
- Lastly, the workout relieves headaches and insomnia.
- Do not perform the workout if you have lower back pain, a tear in hamstrings.
- Never try to pull your head towards your knees; it should target to pull towards your feet.
- Importantly, do not lift the chin too much and compressing the back of the neck, which can cause pain, stiffness in the spinal cord.
This is also known as the full-moon pose. This can be done while standing and also while lying down on the floor. A very simple exercise that can be performed by anyone.
- Stand straight while your hands are lying next to your legs.
- Now take your hands up and start bending your back.
- Bend till your hands reach the floor.
- Then try to touch your hands to your legs.
- If not possible then keep your legs and hands apart on the floor.
- Now stay in the position for 1 minute and then come back to a normal standing position.
- Helps in increasing height.
- Also, your lungs get more oxygen.
- More importantly, reduces stress and tension.
- Lastly, strengthens your spine.
- Do not perform if you have back pain.
- Moreover, if there is an injury in your wrist, then restrain from doing.
- Placing hands in the wrong position.
- And importantly toes pointed out.
It is known as seated forward bend. It is same as standing forward bend just that it is done while sitting.
- Sit with legs straight and back straight on the floor. And your hands on the floor by your side.
- Secondly, take your hands up and start bending.
- It should bend till your hands reach your legs.
- Next, touch your toe fingers and stay in the position for 1 minute.
- Lastly, your head should touch your knees. And keep your back straight while performing it.
- It helps stretch your spine.
- Also, helpful in increasing height.
- Moreover, calms the brain.
- Besides, improves digestion.
- Therapeutic for insomnia.
- Avoid if you have an injury in your hips.
- Also, do not practice if you have pain in the back.
- Keeping back bent while performing it.
Pushups are the upper body exercise that strengthens your arms and shoulders. They are an effective physical workout that builds strength. This workout also builds core strength. There are several ways to do pushups.
- Get on the floor with your hands and legs.
- Your hands should be wider than your shoulders.
- Now, extend your legs to balance your hands and toe together.
- Keep your body in a straight line and also you can keep your legs together.
- Then contract your abs; tighten your core by pulling your belly button toward the spine.
- Next, inhale as you go down by bending your elbows and lower yourself.
- At last, exhale as you come back to your normal position.
- Most importantly don’t lock your elbows; keep them slightly bent.
Do 5 sets for 10 times in each set.
1 set = 10 times, 5 sets = 50 reps.
- It can strengthen the lower back.
- Moreover, the workout is effective for building strength.
- Even they work on triceps and shoulders.
- Also helps in increasing height.
- Do not overdo the workout as you may not find it challenging after a few days.
- Particularly, be careful while performing the exercise as it may cause shoulder injuries to some people.
- Elbows pointed out.
- As well as hips too low.
It is the very best exercise for everyone, especially for beginners. It does not require any equipment. One should start with jogging or running for 20-30 minutes if you are a beginner. And then gradually increase the time by 50-60 minutes.
- Improves your heartbeat.
- Indeed burns higher calories.
- Also, lift your mood.
- Furthermore, good for diabetic people.
- Next, cures high blood pressure, and depression.
- And, helps in increasing height.
- One should warm up before running and cool down after running.
- And, stop running if you are hurt.
- Lastly, do not eat too much before running.
- Wearing the wrong shoes.
- More importantly, wearing the wrong clothes.
19. Jumping Jacks
It is a whole-body workout. It involves abdominal and shoulder muscles. This is a very good physical exercise. This workout works on hip flexors, hamstrings.
- Stand in the normal position.
- Jump up; widen your legs and hands upward in a clapping position.
- Then return to the position.
- Moreover, do this as many times for about 30-40 seconds.
Do 5 sets for 30 seconds in each set.
1 set = 30 seconds, 5 sets = 150 seconds.
- This workout burns your calories.
- Also, tone your muscles.
- Moreover, the workout makes you stress-free.
- Besides, warm-up your shoulders.
- If you have joint issues, muscle injuries or other health issues, therefore, don’t perform the exercise.
- Don’t lock your knees.
- Also, do not bend your knees.
Dhanurasana, Natrajasana, Nokasana, Butt Bridge
Pranayama for height increase
Now let us talk about pranayama which are also very useful for increasing height.
- Bhastrika Pranayama
- Secondly, Kapalabhati Pranayama
- Ujjayi Pranayama
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Udgeeth Pranayama
- Shitli Pranayama
- Lastly, Shitkari Pranayama
Nutrition for height increase
When it comes to nutrition, we must take care that we eat healthy food instead of junk food. Let me tell you what all you should eat.
Bananas are a great source of potassium, vitamin B6, magnesium, manganese. It helps strengthen bones and hence, helps in increasing height. Moreover, children should eat at least 2 bananas every day.
2. Green leafy vegetables
They contain minerals, vitamins, and fiber. It helps growth hormone in increasing height. Moreover, reduces the risk of heart diseases, obesity, and high blood pressure.
Soybean is a great source of protein and helps a lot in increasing height. It improves your bones and muscles. Undoubtedly, one should consume 50 gm of soybean daily.
4. Dry fruits
Almonds, walnuts contain essential mineral that repairs your tissues and builds new one.
It is considered a natural source of increasing height as it contains a wide range of minerals that broadens your bones. Sometimes, it is advised that it should be consumed by boys only and not by girls. This is wrong. Both of them can take.
6. Milk and milk products
We all know that milk is rich in calcium and good for our bones. One should intake 2 glasses of milk in a day and with it eat curd in the afternoon, paneer, and other milk products. They will definitely strengthen your bones and increase your height.
7 .Black chana
It is loaded with proteins, fiber, and carbohydrates, a great source of minerals and vitamins. Besides they should be eaten sprouted and in the morning.
8. Fresh fruits
They are also a great source of minerals, vitamins, fiber, and carbohydrates. Importantly, it helps in increasing bones’ strength and builds muscle power.
Acupressure points for height increase
It is seen that acupressure points work in height increase also. There are 3 acupressure points, 2 on hands and 1 on toes.
- On hands press the tips of all the fingers and thumb.
- Next, on your palm press on the bottom of your thumb.
- Moreover, the same way on feet press the tips of your toes.
It is good that everyone wants to get tall, but not possible for everyone. One should not get depressed with short height. Everyone looks good in their height. I will tell you some tips to look tall if your height is not increasing.
- Always walk straight and sit straight,
- Next, you can wear shoe lift.
- Also, girls can wear heels.
- Wear height enhancing clothes.
- Lastly, one should avoid taking alcohol and smoking.
To conclude, one should never be disappointed. Stay happy and healthy. And especially, do not forget to exercise every day as it keeps you fit forever.