Physical exercise at your home
Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live ~ Jim Rohn
What is Physical Exercise?
Physical Exercise is the performance of some activity in order to develop or maintain physical fitness and overall health.
If you are not worried about your health, then it is not worth living. Keeping yourself fit should be your priority. So what is a way to do that, it is physical exercise or home workout.
Everyone should do physical exercises to keep their body fit to stay away from any kind of illness. If you do physical exercise, you are mentally fit too. You can perform physical exercises even at home, if you can’t go to gym. Moreover, you can do physical exercises in your room too. If you are bored just get up and start doing physical exercises because you don’t need any special equipment just you and yourself. But, start with simple exercises if you have never done physical exercise before. These workouts should be performed empty stomach, so that you get the most out of it.
For more information on Weight Management Click Here
Pro Tip-: Before starting your workout do some warm up like jogging or high stepping. This is a very important step because if you do physical exercises without warm up then you may get fewer benefits from your workout, also you may get injury.
Here, in this article you will get to know about top 15 physical exercises, especially the workout which can be performed at home. They are-
This is an exercise which straightens your body just like a plank of wood. It involves your core muscles which improve your body posture, balancing power and strength. This workout does not require any equipment and can be performed at home.
- Lie down of the floor by placing your hands just below your shoulder.
- Put your legs on the floor and straighten your body.
- Neutralize your neck and spine. Put your head down only.
- Hold the position for about 30 seconds and do for 2-3 times.
Do 5 sets for 30 seconds in each set.
1 set = 30 seconds, 5 sets = 150 seconds.
- Tightens your tummy.
- Increases flexibility.
- Reduces Back pain.
- Improves your body posture.
Do not perform the workout if you have any injuries.
Do not exceed the exercise for more than 1 minute.
If you have carpal tunnel syndrome, then do not perform the exercise.
The squat is a lower body exercise which mainly targets your thighs. It challenges most of the muscles in our body. This workout includes hamstrings, quadriceps, hip flexors and calves.
- Stand up with your feet apart and fingers pointing in front.
- Lower your hips until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- You should feel a stretch in your thighs and glutes.
- Hold for 30 seconds or more and then come back to normal position.
Do 5 sets with 5 reps in each set.
1 set = 5 reps, 5 sets = 25 reps
- This workout tightens your core.
- The exercise strengthens your muscles.
- Reduces the risk of injury.
Do not perform if suffering from knee pain.
A lunge means any position of human where the one keeps one leg in front with the knees bend and foot flat on the floor. Whereas the other leg is positioned at the normal position. This workout is a lower body exercise which helps strengthen the thighs, hips and glutes. It also helps in toning your legs.
- Stand straight.
- Now, take any of your leg and put forward.
- Lower your hips in such a way that both the legs are bent and make a 90 degree angle.
- Stay in the position for 10-20 seconds and then come back to normal position.
- Repeat the same steps for 14-20 times with both the legs simultaneously.
Do 2 sets with 14 reps, 7 each side in each set.
1 set = 14 reps, 2 sets = 28 reps.
- The workout tightens your core.
- The exercise improves balance.
- The exercise builds leg muscles.
- The workout creates stronger squat.
Keep your body upright throughout the movement. Do not overextend your leg during workout.
Forward Bend is a physical exercise that makes your body flexible. This exercise is also a part of Sun Salutation Sequence. It is known as Uttanasana. It stretches your hamstrings and calves.
- Stand in the normal position with your hand on your hips.
- Inhale and while exhaling bend your hands and body from hips.
- Try to touch your feet with the hands.
- Hold the position for 1 minute and then come back to the normal position.
- Keep your legs parallel to each other.
- You must feel stretch in your hamstrings.
- Rise slowly with an elongation in your back.
Do 10 sets for 60 seconds in each set.
1 set = 60 seconds, 10 sets = 600 seconds.
- It strengthens your hamstrings.
- This exercise helps you increase your height.
- The workout strengthens thighs and knees.
- Reduce fatigue and anxiety.
- The workout relieves headache and insomnia.
Do not perform the workout if you have lower back pain, a tear in hamstrings.
5. Jumping Jacks
This is a whole body workout. It involves abdominal and shoulder muscles. This is a very good physical exercise. This workout works on hip flexors, hamstrings.
- Stand in the normal position.
- Jump up; widen your legs and hands upward in clapping position.
- Return to the position.
- Do this as many times for about 30-40 seconds.
Do 5 sets for 30 seconds in each set.
1 set = 30 seconds, 5 sets = 150 seconds
- This workout burns your calories.
- Tone your muscles.
- The workout makes you stress free.
- Warm up your shoulders.
If you have joint issues, muscle injuries or other health issues, then don’t perform the exercise.
This exercise strengthens your upper body, arms and shoulders. This is an effective physical workout which builds strength. This workout also builds the core strength.
- Get on the floor with your hands and legs. Your hands should be wider than your shoulders.
- Extend your legs so as to balance your hands and toe together.
- Keep your body in straight line and also you can keep your legs together.
- Contract your abs; tighten your core by pulling belly button toward spine.
- Inhale as you go down by bending your elbows and lower yourself.
- Exhale as you come back to normal position.
- Don’t lock your elbows; keep them slightly bent.
Do 5 sets for 10 times in each set.
1 set = 10 times, 5 sets = 50 reps.
- It can strengthen the lower back.
- The workout is effective for building strength.
- They work on triceps and shoulders.
Do not overdo the workout as you may not find it challenging after few days.
Be careful while performing the exercise as it may cause shoulder injuries to some people.
7. Butt Bridge
It is also known as hip raises or glute raises. It is a lower-body bodyweight that targets your glutes and activates lower back.
- Lie down on the floor. Take mat if you require.
- Bend your knees and keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Now, lift your butt up as high as you can while keeping your pelvis in neutral position without hyper extending your lower spine.
- Stay in the position for 30 seconds and then come back to normal position.
- Repeat the same step for about 3-4 times for 30 seconds.
Do 4 sets with 30 seconds in each set.
1 set = 30 seconds, 4 sets = 120 seconds.
- The exercise can help reduce lower back pain.
- The workout strengthens your muscles.
- The workout strengthens glute.
Avoid raising your hips too high as it can cause strain.
Do not perform the workout if you are recovering from any injuries and if you have any injuries in muscles.
8. Chair Pose
It is also known as Utkatasana which means fierce pose. It is a full body exercise which strengthens your muscles of hands and legs. The exercise gets your heart pump quickly.
- Stand in the Tadasana pose. Keep your feet apart.
- Inhale and Raise your hand parallel to floor and do not bend your elbows.
- Exhale and bend your knees as if you are sitting on an imaginary chair.
- Be straight and do not bend completely.
- Stay in the position for 1 minute.
- Then come back to normal position.
- Repeat the step for 5-6 times.
Do 4 sets for 60 seconds in each set.
1 set = 60 seconds, 4 sets = 240 seconds.
- The exercise helps strengthens the lower back.
- It tones your thighs, ankles, legs and knees.
- The workout balances the body.
- Stretches the shoulder and chest.
- The exercise stimulates heart.
Avoid if you have Arthritis.
Do not practice the exercise if you have low blood pressure.
Avoid the workout if you have headache and insomnia.
9. Downward facing dog
This Downward facing dog exercise or Adho Mukha Shavasana is an inversion asana in modern yoga. It is part of Sun Salutation. This exxercise is an inversion pose that builds strength.
- Lie down on the floor on your stomach.
- Set your knees directly below your hips and your hands slightly forward of your shoulders.
- Exhale and lift your knees off the floor.
- Try to be in the shape of the letter ‘A’.
- Stay in the position for about 40-50 seconds.
- After that come back in normal position.
- Repeat the same step for 7-8 times.
Do 4 sets for 40 seconds in each set.
1 set = 40 seconds, 4 sets = 160 seconds.
- It strengthens and energizes all your muscles.
- The workout strengthens your arms and shoulders.
- Helpful in increasing height.
- The workout lengthens the calves.
- Calms your mind.
- The exercise stimulates blood circulation.
Do not practice if you are pregnant.
If you have back problems like Sciatica, then do not perform this.
Do not perform the exercise if you have high blood pressure.
10. Bicycle Crunches
The bicycle crunch is the best ab exercise. These are good for stronger core. These work on your thighs, arms and whole body. It is a no-equipment exercise which can be done at any place.
- Lie on the floor in shavasana.
- Take your hands at the back of your head.
- With the hands gently behind your head, pull your shoulders and slowly raise your knees, lifting your knees from the floor.
- Exhale and slowly go through a bicycle pedal motion, bringing one knee up towards your armpit while straightening the other leg, keeping both elevated higher than your hips.
- Alternate to twist to the other side while drawing that knee towards your armpit and the other leg extended until your elbow touches the alternate knee.
- Do for about 15-20 times in one set. Do 2-3 sets.
And do 3 sets for 14 reps in each set.
1 set = 14 reps, 3 sets = 42 reps.
- The workout is very good for your abdomen, abs.
- The exercise tightens your core.
Be careful while performing the exercise as it may cause neck strain.
11. Bird Dog
This exercise is a simple core exercise which improves your stability. This physical exercise can be performed at home only if you cannot go to gym. The workout is a bodyweight exercise which strengthens your leg and hand muscles.
- Kneel down on the knees and hands on the floor.
- Keeping your back straight, raise your right hand and left leg parallel to the floor.
- Your hips should be in neutral position.
- Stay in the position for 10 seconds and then return to the normal position.
- Now lift the left hand and right leg.
- Repeat these steps for 10-20 times.
Do 4 sets with 10 reps, 5 each side, in each set.
1 set = 10 reps, 4 sets = 40 reps.
- This workout strengthens your core and muscles.
- This exercise reduces lower back pain.
- Improves stability.
- The workout helps to keep your spine stable.
- This exercise improves body posture.
You should not do if you have shoulder pain. Do not perform the exercise if you have back pain.
This workout is one of those physical exercises which require no equipment and work on your whole body. They are the most effective and challenging workout which strengthens all your muscles of shoulder, chest, abs, squat, butt and triceps. This exercise was named in the 1930s by American physiologist Royal H. Burpee, who developed the burpee test.
- Begin with standing in normal position.
- Bend to the squat position with your hands on the floor.
- Now, take your legs back to the position of plank.
- After 2-3 seconds, return back to the squat position.
- Now, jump from that position as highs as you can with your hands above your head.
- Land back to normal position of squats.
Do 2 sets with 5 reps.
1 rep = 5 reps, 2 sets = 10 reps.
- It burns calories.
- This workout lowers risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- The exercise improves brain function.
- Improves cholesterol.
- This workout strengthens your muscles.
Do not perform the exercise if you have back injuries.
Do not drop your head to the floor; your joints may get injury.
13. Rope Jumping
This exercise is a full body physical exercise which requires only a jumping rope. This physical exercise can be performed at home only; you need not to go anywhere. This workout is a great calorie burner. If you do 1000 rope jumps a day, you burn 215 calories which is equal to 500 gms of cold drink.
- Stand in a normal position with your rope at your backside.
- Now, swing the rope and bring in front.
- Jump over it when rope comes near your leg.
- At first attempt aim to do 100 jumps or less if you are a beginner.
- Then gradually increase the number within a month.
Do 5 sets with 100 jumps in each set.
1 set = 100 jumps, 5 sets = 500 jumps.
- This workout strengthens your muscles and bones.
- Boosts metabolism.
- Improves your mental health.
- This workout increases your height.
- The exercise loses your weight.
Do not perform the exercise if you have pain in legs.
Wear shock-absorbing shoes for the rope jumping workout.
14. Donkey Kicks
This exercise is a leg based physical exercise which tones your thighs. This workout is an aerobic exercise. If you are fighting cellulite, then it is a best exercise for you.
- Start on all four with your knees under your butt and your hands under your shoulders.
- Then lift your left leg and squeeze your butt as much as you can.
- Stay in the position for 10 seconds.
- Then, go back to the start position.
- Repeat the exercise with the other leg also.
Do 5 sets with 10 reps, 5 each side, in each set.
1 set = 10 reps, 5 sets = 50 reps.
- They are great for stability and toning.
- Also work on shoulder muscle.
- This workout tones your thighs.
Do not perform this workout, if you have pain in your wrist.
Climbers are sometimes called Mountain Climbers. This is a full body physical exercise that targets especially arms, shoulders, quads and core.
- Start in the push-up position.
- Bend your right knee towards your chest and keep your left leg straight.
- Then, quickly switch from one leg to the other.
- Do the same 20 times in one set.
Do 4 sets with 20 reps in each set.
1 set = 20 reps, 4 sets = 80 reps.
- This physical exercise strengthens multiple muscle groups.
- This workout is great for building cardio endurance.
- The workout builds up upper body strength.
- This workout increases your core strength.